Want me to offer the following services to you?  Translation Service ($5/1 page of 300 words )  English-Khmer and Vice versa  Tutoring Service  General English  Essay/Paragraph Writing  Grammar for Writing  Conversation Email:tuy.sokha@gmail.com .

Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Use ‘will’ or ‘going to’?




@ ‘Will’ and ‘going to” are used to mark the future; however, they express different situations or activities.

1.     When we decide to do something immediately without prior decision, we use ‘will’.

·        “I am broke. I really need some money”   “Don’t worry. I will lend you some.”
·        “It is hot here.”  “I will open it for you”

But when we decide to something before we speak, we use “going to”.

·        They have invited many friends. They are going to make a party next week.
·        “Why are you wearing thick clothes?”  “I am going to ski.”

2.     “Will” is used to say that something will happen in the future based on the speaker’s opinion/experience.

·        Seavmey is my sister. I am sure she will like this food.
(This is what I believe)
·        I think he will pass his exam.


But ‘going to’ is used when we say that something will happen in the future because we see the evidence now.

·        He studies hard. He is going to pass his exam.
(The evidence= his hard work)
·        There are a lot of black clouds in the sky. It is going to rain.
      (the evidence = a lot of black clouds in the sky)

3.     Compare ‘will’ and ‘going to’:

·        I am afraid that it will rain. ( This is what the speaker’s belief without any evidence now)
·        I am afraid that it is going to rain. (The speaker sees the evidence that can cause rain.)

4.     The present continuous is also used to talk about a future plan. ‘Going to’ can be used interchangeably with the present continuous.
·        I am meeting/am going to meet Mike for dinner this evening.
·        What are you doing/ are you going to do tomorrow morning?

Note: the present continuous isn’t possible in this situation.
·        Look at the sky! it is going to rain. (Not It is raining)
·        They are late. They are going to miss the bus. (Not they are missing the bus)
 




Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment