Want me to offer the following services to you?  Translation Service ($5/1 page of 300 words )  English-Khmer and Vice versa  Tutoring Service  General English  Essay/Paragraph Writing  Grammar for Writing  Conversation Email:tuy.sokha@gmail.com .

Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Future Continuous Tense


Read in Khmer
Study this example situation:
         
          From Monday to Friday, Mr. Kun Chay starts work at 7 and finishes at 11.Today is Monday, so we can say:
 At 8 o’clock today he is working.
And at 8 o’clock tomorrow he will be working.
         
          The highlighted sentence is called the future continuous.

         
          We form the future continuous this way:

          Positive:
                   Subject + will + be +verb +ING +...
         
·        Note:
The modal verb ‘will’ is used with all persons. Again, with continuous tenses, you need to know the spellingrule of verb+ING.

·        I will be flying to Australia at 2 o’clock tomorrow.
·        Mr. Bob will be coming here.
·        Mr. Sopheak will be studying at this time tomorrow.

Negative:
          Subject + will+ NOT + be + verb +ING+...

·        Next week we can meet at the appointed time because I won’t be working.
·        She won’t be going to market this evening. You can come over.
·        Tomorrow is Sunday. Seavmey won’t be studying.

Question:
          Will + subject + be +  verb + ING+...?

·        Will you be writing the report?
·        When will you be cooking?
·        Will James be staying at Siem Reap?

Short answer:
·        Will he be travelling to the province?
Yes, he will
No, he won’t
·        Will you be leaving?
Yes, I will
No, I won’t

          Future Continuous (also called the future progressive) is used:

1.     to describe an ongoing activity at a definite time in the future.

·        I can’t make it tomorrow because I will be seeing my mom in  Takeo province.
·        She will be staying home after she retires.
·        At 6 pm this evening he will be meeting his girl.

Note:
We normally include future time markers (Tomorrow etc.)in the future continuous.

2.     similar to the present continuous, the future continuous is also used to describe something that the speaker decided or organized to do in the future.

·        I will be going hometown soon. Do you want to go with me?
·        She will be cooking curry.

3.     to ask about someone’s plan in a very polite way, especially when we want to ask them for a favor.

·        Will you be using your computer this evening? If not, could I borrow it?
·        Will you be coming home soon? I need your help with my homework.

Compare the future continuous with ‘going to’ and the present continuous when we talk about the future events.

a.     The present continuous tells us that the situation or action is a definite arrangement.
·        I am visiting Dara tomorrow. (I have arranged to visit and Dara and I know about this)
b.     The future continuous and be going to may be used to describe something that is going to happen or the speaker expect to happen but without a definite arrangement.

·        I will be visiting Dara tomorrow or I am going to visit Dara tomorrow.
(The speaker knows that they will be meeting each other but Dara may or may not know about this plan. It means that the speaker may decide to do so alone while in the present continuous, the people involved know about that arrangement)


No comments:

Post a Comment