Want me to offer the following services to you?  Translation Service ($5/1 page of 300 words )  English-Khmer and Vice versa  Tutoring Service  General English  Essay/Paragraph Writing  Grammar for Writing  Conversation Email:tuy.sokha@gmail.com .

Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Future simple


 We use will /going to/ shall to mark the future simple. However, in this lesson, I focus primarily on ‘Will’ and ‘shall’.

     Study this example situation:
         
      Sophy is a student who is studying in grade 12. At the end of this year, she has to sit the exam. She is worried about it because she is poor at several subjects. One day she told this problem to her friend, Sambath. Then Sambath said, “Don’t worry, friend. I will help you to prepare for it.”
         
          The highlighted sentence is called the future simple.
          Get Started:

1.     Did Sambath plan to help Sophy or he decide to do it immediately when he talk to Sophy?

·        If you are not sure about the answer, check the use below.

We form the future simple with ‘will’ this way:

          Positive:
          Subject + will + bare infinitive + ..

Note: ‘Will’ is used with every subject.

       ·        I will call you when I am free.
       ·        He will be here soon.
       ·        Sue and Bob will love your present.

Negative:

Subject + will + NOT + bare infinitive + ...

·      She will not go home. (will not=won’t)
·      They won’t pass the exam.
·      We will not eat out this evening.

Question:

(Wh-word) +will +subject + bare infinitive +...?

·        Will you come back this evening?
·        What will you want to do in the future?
·        When will she do the cooking?

Short answer:

·        Will you come back at 9?
 Yes, I will
 No, I won’t
·        Will they finish on time?
Yes, they will
No, they won’t


This is the way “will” is used:

1.     when we decide to do something immediately without prior decision.

·        ‘‘Oh son, we don’t have any salt left’’. ‘‘Don’t worry mom. I will go to buy some’’.
·        “There are a lot of kinds of food here. What do you want to eat?”
I’ll have curry
2.     to predict what will (or won’t)  happen in the future using our opinion or experience.

·        I think she’ll like your present.(This is what I believe based on my opinion)
·        I don’t think they’ll come on time. ( rather than I think they won’t come on time)
3.     to express what is certain to happen in the future.

·        He will be 18 tomorrow.
·        February will end tomorrow.

4.     to offer to do something  for somebody.

·        You look thirsty. I’ll make you a coffee.
·        “I don’t understand this lesson.”   “Oh, I’ll explain it to you.”

5.     to express our promise/threat.

·          A: I need you to help me for the coming party.
B: Of course, I’ll be pleased to help.
·          Don’t tell anyone or I will never talk to you.

6.     to ask somebody to do something.

·        Will you please buy me a present?
·        It is hot here. Will you open the window, please?

7.     to express a planned future event in a formal way.

·     The course will start at 7 am tomorrow.
·     The new regulation will come into force next week onwards.

  Note: we also use ‘shall’ to express a future situation or activity, but it is used with subjects ‘I’ and ‘we’ only.

·        When I graduate, I shall/will work as a teacher.
·        We shan’t/won’t talk to you later. (shan’t =shall not)





Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment