Want me to offer the following services to you?  Translation Service ($5/1 page of 300 words )  English-Khmer and Vice versa  Tutoring Service  General English  Essay/Paragraph Writing  Grammar for Writing  Conversation Email:tuy.sokha@gmail.com .

Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

English Grammar- Present Continuous Tense

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ
 I will explain about the form, spelling rule of verbs +" ing", and use of the present continuous tense. You can compare it with the present simple tense. The present continuous tense is also called the present progressive tense.


Study these example: 

·         Look! Dara is catching fish in the pond.
·         These days I am conducting a research on endangered birds.
·         ​​​​​​More and more people are surfing the internet for many purposes.
·         Sorry! I can't go with you because I am meeting Jane at 3 o'clock.    
·         My sons are always messing the room.


Note:  we form Present Continuous Tense like this:

Positive form:

           Subject + am/is /are + V-ing +...

Am with “I”
Is with singular subjects such as He/She/It/Dara/ My son...    
Are with plural subjects such as You/We/They/ My sons...

Example:

·         I am writing an article about how to make money online at the moment.
·        ​​She is picking some flowers.
·         ​​​​​​​​My sons are pursuing their master degree at Royal University of Phnom Penh.
​​​​​​​                    
Negative form

 Subject + am/is/are +NOT + V-ing + ...

·         Susan isn’t babysitting for her sister.   (isn’t=is not)
·         Dara and I aren’t working on a project.​​​  (aren't=are not)

Interrogative form:

  Am/Is/ Are + subject + V-ing +...?

·         Are you listening to me?
·         ​​​What are they doing this evening?
·         Is he coming home tonight?


Use:



1. The basic use of this tense is to talk about what is happening now.

·         Listen!​ someone is calling us.
·        Silent! Our kids are sleeping.

2. To express an action that is happening these days.

·        At a cafe, Mike asks Tom, "What are you doing these days?"
·        "I am writing an e-book about English grammar," Tom answers.

Note: Tom isn't writing the book in the cafe in this aspect.

3.  To talk about trends in the present.

·        Many people are driving to work these days.
·        More and more people are going on google+.

4. To talk about personal future plans.

·        Tomorrow she is travelling to Kampot.
·        They are having a family get-together the day after tomorrow.

Note: in this aspect, we often add future time expressions in the sentences.

5. To express our annoyance over someone's behavior.

·        My mom is always telling me to things.
·        His kids are constantly making noise.

Note: in this aspect, we usually use adverbs like always, forever,and constantly.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment